Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Rosemary's BabyWhat makes it a horror story?
#14
I think a lot of times it's the "tone." Now, I'm not trying to make this all about me, but here's a good example . . . .

My first (and only, to date) mass-market novel, published in 2004, was MIDNIGHT RAIN. Ultimately, MIDNIGHT RAIN is *not* a horror story -- in fact, I'd describe it more as a dark coming-of-age/suspense tale (think STAND BY ME meets DISTURBIA, I guess). It's about a boy who witnesses a brutal murder committed by his hometown sheriff, and he doesn't know where to turn with this information. Things get worse and worse, until eventually he knows he has to do the right thing . . . .

Not horror, right? But a lot of horror readers loved this one, called it their favorite book of 2004. No kidding.

I think it's all about the dark tone. The "mood." Because, like I said yesterday in a thread on this forum about THE MIST, I think that the things *people* are capable of are so much scarier than any atrocities fictional characters might suffer at the hands of zombies, werewolves, etc.


Just my $.02.



J.N.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
What makes it a horror story? - by Dr. Briggs - 07-25-2009, 04:35 AM
What makes it a horror story? - by CarolinePar - 07-26-2009, 11:29 PM
What makes it a horror story? - by CarolinePar - 07-28-2009, 10:43 PM
What makes it a horror story? - by CarolinePar - 08-09-2009, 05:15 PM
What makes it a horror story? - by dmihatmttl - 11-22-2009, 04:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm a new author who wrote a collection of short, existential horror stories JamesGBoswell 0 1,787 10-24-2019, 07:06 PM
Last Post: JamesGBoswell
  "Friday Night Frights" - Central CA's First Horror Talk Show, Premiering Online This Friday, 08/03 kaci 0 1,950 07-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Last Post: kaci
  Anyone know any good horror books? Friday The 13th 16 7,251 04-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Koontzandkingfan
  American Horror Story mrblue 0 1,617 04-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Last Post: mrblue
  A Horror/SciFi Comic Mash-up... DragonBlues 21 8,477 07-12-2011, 07:06 AM
Last Post: DragonBlues
  Clive Barker makes return to Hellraiser comics mrblue 0 1,753 12-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Last Post: mrblue
  Top 10 Scariest Horror Video Games Friday The 13th 9 4,479 07-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Friday The 13th
  What's the last horror show you watched? Bojangles 64 22,736 03-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Last Post: Maxx88
  Supernatural, Horror? SamWinchester89 10 4,567 02-10-2010, 12:41 AM
Last Post: Zach
  Dexter, Horror or Thriller? LokiZee 32 14,286 12-31-2009, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Friday The 13th

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)